Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Gift Idea Easy Enough for Kids to Make

Since my Brownie troop is working on their sewing try-it and the holidays are approaching, I thought I would have them make something warm and cozy to keep or give as a gift. Fleece scarves! And luckily, many of the local fabric stores have been having sales on fleece...just watch for the ads.

Supplies:
2 colors of fleece, 2 yards each (this was enough to make about 11 scarves)
thread
sharp scissors
sewing machine
Cut the fleece in 6 inch strips, the full width of the fabric. Pair and layer one of each color, and sew a single line down the center of each pair. It's already starting to look cozy!
After reviewing scissor safety with the kids have them make cuts on both sides of the scarf, ALMOST to the center line of stitching. Remind them not to snip THROUGH the stitching. My group cut little strips about the width of one or two of their fingers and they looked great.
It takes just a bit of time (about 30 minutes if you're singing and telling jokes during the process) and patience, but they loved the results (and got very creative with different ways to wear them!).
10 girls + 20 busy hands=10 great scarves and a happy leader!

Join in the fun at:
Pink Hippo Party
The Boardwalk Bragfest









20 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I am going to have to put this on the list of things to do with my Brownie troop! We made scarves last year.. but they attached some felt hearts with glue! Thanks soooo much for linking up to the Pink Hippo Party! Hope you share some more GS ideas next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son would love to make one of these!! The girls look they are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tell All!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project for kids. I will never forget my Brownie/GS Leader, Mrs. Gorton. She had just one daughter and was so devoted to her and each of us. I still love her and lost contact long ago. Thanks for all you are doing for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Reminds me of all the fun crafts we used to do in Girl Scouts. My favorite thing about being in GS was the crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Cute! I love seeing little girls learning how to sew. Great idea. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I hope you will come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter makes these for friends birthday's, super easy and fun ideas! Love your blog.. I'm a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'morn Kathleen ~
    Come by on Monday's, we 3 gals do the Love Is... every week. I hope you will pop by them for a visit, too. I have over 1,500 of these fun cartoons.

    TY for your visit. I am now following you.

    I agree, it is a fun idea & the girls are definitely visibly having a good time. I remember doing crafty things in Brownie & GSs ... some were lots of fun. Crafty, I am NOT!

    Have a beautiful day ...
    TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those look SO soft and adorable! (Visiting from My Backyard Eden - have a great week!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute!! My daughter makes all kinds of fun stuff in Girl Scouts...she loves it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that looks like a lot of fun! Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too cute
    Great blog! New Follower. Following from the blog hop. I have a food blog that's loaded with recipes, spices, food giveaways and more.
    http://abundanceyeah.blogspot.com/2010/11/10-people-for-thanksgiving-20-dishes-no.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a super idea!!! The girls must have had a blast making their scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea!! Thanks so much for linking this up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I am your newest follower from a Wednesday Blog Hop! I would love it if you would follow back at one or all four of my blogs!

    www.singleparentretreat.com
    http://singlemamachallenges.blogspot.com/
    http://motherdaughterconnection.blogspot.com/
    http://jmconsultingservices.blogspot.com/

    Thanks! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial at the DIY CRAFT TUTORIAL linky party at http://www.FineCraftGuild.com

    I love this idea, thank you, and your pictures look like everyone had great fun!

    Hope you also found some tutorials in the party for projects that interested you ...

    See you back next Wednesday, we hope, and meanwhile, have a creative week,

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  17. How you come up with this stuff...I will remember it if i needed.

    Send gifts to pakistan

    ReplyDelete