Monday, November 1, 2010

Rudolph Rings in the Season


I saw these cute little reindeer ornaments at a recent craft show and knew immediately that my Brownie troop would LOVE to make the lil' critters!

The project is easy enough for a six-year-old (with the possibility of a bit of antler assistance). My troop is made up of eight-year-olds, so I know they'll be able to dive right in!


Supplies:
Mini terracotta pots
brown acrylic paint
brown pipe cleaners
jingle bells (small enough to fit inside the pots)

wiggly eyes
red pom poms (nose)
festive ribbon (for hanger)
craft glue (or glue gun for older crafters)




Step 1: First I wiped off the pot with a damp towel to remove any manufacturing residue, and then gave it a light coat of brown paint.



Step 2: Loop a pipe cleaner through the bell, to the halfway mark of the pipe cleaner, and twist a couple of times.

Step 3: Thread both ends of the p.c. upward through the hole in the bottom of the pot.




















Step 4: Make small, outward bends in the p.c. to keep it from slipping back through the hole. I found that a dab of glue on each side helped to keep the p.c. from "flopping over". Antlers that stand up are so much cuter!




Steps 5 & 6: Glue on the eyes and nose.







Step 7: Bend the antlers into little points (luckily, perfection isn't
required).

Step 8: Fold a small length of ribbon in half, knot the ends together, and thread the loop upward through the pot hole.



Once the glue is dried, Rudolph is ready to hang.

I admit that I couldn't resist after this project was "finished"...and I drew little lashes on with a Sharpie. Definitely an improvement.

I hope that you have the chance to try this with the kids in your life...or just make a few for yourself.

I'm linking up to the fun at:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Tuesday Tag-AlongPhotobucket







































31 comments:

  1. Thanks for your visit. This is sure a cute craft to do. I like your profile picture. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable!! so cute and crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cute kids project!! I love it....

    Come and see my latest find, I would love your thoughts!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I might have to try these with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up this week on the Tuesday Train. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! These would be so cute on packages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are super cute! My kids would love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute i love this. if you ever would like to be featured or would like to share a recipe or a find (re-do furniture) please come become a follower and email us...Great site

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooo CUTE...passing this on to my daughter who teaches K4.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!!!!! Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute! Will def try this as the bf wants our tree to be a bit more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. really fun.
    come contribute it on our diy craft linky party
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-linky-party-19/

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute! i will be showing this off on my blog Random Crafty Georgia Girl for my Christmas Decoration Marathon starting next week.
    -Cate from Random Crafty Georgia Girl
    http://olliebelle20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute idea! Thanks for linking it up at the Catwalk :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute. I will have to try this with my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your comment - I'd love to see the edited picture. Do you have an email address posted somewhere on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great project. I was originally going to say a great project for kids, but actually I want to do it! Thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial on Tuesday's Boardwalk Bragfest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the bell! What a cute idea to ring in the reason!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute! Thanks for linking up to Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Commercial Break!

    suzy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea! Heck with the kids ~~ I think I'll be able to do this one! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh this is such an adorable craft idea!!! If you have a chance come link up to handmade tuesdays @ ladybug blessings tomorrow. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, loooove this idea!! I'd like to invite you to share it at my holiday link party: http://mrsgreene.info/?page_id=182

    I would also like to feature this on Dollar Store Crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will have this up at Random Crafty Georgia Girl for Christmas Decoration Marathon Day 5. It will be up at 7 AM Eastern time.
    -Cate from Random Crafty Georgia Girl
    http://olliebelle20.blogspot.com
    @RndmCrftyGAGrl on twitter. My tweets are private so request to follow if you want to join in the RCGG twitter fun.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just saw these featured on "I heart naptime" and had to drop by and let you know how much I love them. Absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are just so fab...I had to make a couple of modifications but they were a hit with the mums and kids at playgroup. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Kathleen, I can't believe I haven't left you a comment on this yet, I thought I surely have, but I don't see it anywhere. :(

    Thanks so much for linking up to **Amaze me August**, I liked this so much I FEATURED you last week, and you can come grab a FEATURED button anytime girl.

    I also added this to my **6 weeks 2 JINGLE** Christmas Party, hope you don't mind.

    Come check it out anytime!!!

    Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing more of your crafts.

    Oh and as a THANK YOU to all my followers, (I finally reached 100+) I am having a REALLY huge GIVEAWAY coming very soon, As of right now, there are SEVEN GIFTS!!!!

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cute Rudolph activity! I love it!!

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am blog hopping and found your blog. I'm a new follower! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is such a fun idea! Just linked to your post:

    http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Easy-Christmas-Kids-Crafts/Mini-Flower-Pot-Rudolph

    Please let me know if it's okay to link to you like this in the future.

    Thanks!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete